Welcome to the Friday#
This week in The Sizzle: West Midlands Police set their dog on Twitter and Apple claims that Ping has already signed up 1m users. In the Fri up we take a look at this week’s London Underground strike through social media. In The Sauce, Do the Ugly Dance and get poetic with Spotify.
- Disclosed digital revenues amongst FTSE All-Share companies rise
- Justin Beiber responsible for 3% of Twitter: half good but “stirs up equivalent levels of revulsion” shock.
- Japan journalist tricked captors with Twitter – Might be a tactic Lindsey Lohan could use next time?
- More proof that sports stars are not social media athletes: Pietersen & Mascarenhas fined for Twitter outbursts
- West Midlands Police set a dog on Twitter. If all the criminals follow @WMPcsidogsmithy, he won’t have to run after them – makes sense!
No specific tech updates this week, but see Fabrice’s latest blog on Brandwatch’s latest developments and improvements.
There is clearly a lot of bad feeling in the air as Londoners battle the strike on the way home on 6th and back to work on 7th. Some people were highlighting their locations but in the main, the mentions were direct attacks on Boris Johnson, Bob Crow and TFL in general. The positive mentions were people boasting of clear runs to work, tube trains not stopping at mid-line stations and those congratulating themselves on having made it to work dispite the strike or having had the foresight to stay at home.
Below, we break it down by page type:
So we can see that although the strike was covered to an extent in the news, the major chatter was people tweeting about their experiences making #tubestrike a trending topic on Twitter until as late as Thursday morning.
Blogs and forums were also featured in giving advice on how best to beat the strike. What would we have had talk about if everything had run smoothly? Smithy the tweeting West Midlands Police dog and the Daily Mail’s latest claim that Facebook users ‘are insecure, narcissistic and have low self-esteem’ presumably.
- Do the ugly dance – YEAH YOU!
- Feeling bloated after the summer? The Onion shows you how to Thrust Your Fat into a more appealing shape
- Get poetic with Spotiy – or cry for help..