In less than a decade social media has become a huge part of our daily lives, our culture and the way we interact with those around us.
People typically spend more than 3 hours a day on social media platforms (or at least 8h/day here at Brandwatch), browsing for just about everything imaginable.From breaking news and finding new jobs, to who we vote for and how we shop, social media is changing the world as we know it.
As experts in both social media and data analysis, we’ve been pleased to find so many great infographics that prove how social media has revolutionized so many industries. Social media is expected to turn into $1.3 trillion industry through better productivity and customer service.
The infographic below from MyLife lays out many of these changes in a clear, concise way.
Here are some of the social media stats that interested us most:
- Breaking news is faster, with 50 per cent of people learning all about it through social media.
- Two-thirds of law enforcement agencies believe that social media helps them solve crimes more quickly. Bragging about offenses or tagging criminals on social media is now helping law enforcement to catch criminals faster.
- Four out of five faculties in US colleges and universities use social platforms to teach their students. It has allowed students to increase their grades by 50 per cent and it dropped the number of absent students.
- 1 in 6 job-seekers credit social media with helping them find a job. Nearly 90 per cent of job recruiters hired employees through LinkedIn alone, followed by Facebook and Twitter.
- Social media inspires more people to vote and increases political awareness.
- Collectively, people watch 4 billion YouTube videos per day. Justin Bieber, discovered on YouTube at age 12, was worth $80 million at 18.
- Interest in social media on Google Search skyrockets. It helps most teens and adults to stay in touch with friends and family, or let them make new friends.
- Social media produces almost double the marketing leads of trade shows, telemarketing, direct mail, and PPC and the lead conversion rates are 13% higher. On Facebook, brand posts reach their target audience within half-an-hour.
Feast your eyes upon this infographic to see the rest of the stats we haven’t specified:
Read more: 96 Amazing Social Media Stats for 2016