Search the Blog
All our latest data stories and insights straight to your inbox
You’re now subscribed to the
Brandwatch React newsletter.
Find it in your inbox every
Infographic: Are You Addicted to Your Phone? Marketing
In today’s world, more people have access to a mobile phone than a toilet.
Don’t look so surprised. Look around you, on your desk, other people’s desks.
Didn’t you just press a button on your phone to check if you haven’t received any messages?
Our phones keep us connected to family and friends, help us with directions and give us access to the wonders of the world wide web. We spend an unhealthy amount of time tapping away at our phone. But how much is too much?
Take a look at some of the graphs and numbers below to see how addicted you really are.
- As of January 2014, 90% of all American adults had mobile phones, including a whopping 98% of 18-29-year-olds.
- On average, Americans spend about 2 hours 57 minutes on their phones per day or more than 20 hours per week. During that time, you could have watched 40 episodes of your favorite sitcom or taken 27 spinning classes (or both at the same time)!
- We use our phones in some seriously odd places. 61% of the people use their phones in the bathroom.
- Of these people, nearly a third typically answers the phone in the bathroom. This is not without consequences. 9% admits to have dropped their phone in the toilet at some point or another.
- Some of the other – perhaps less surprising – places we’re guilty of using our phones include when eating at a restaurant (36%), when riding public transportation (35%) or when playing with children (35%).
Breaking it down:
- When it comes to texting our friends and family, our thumbs know when to stop. 4 out 5 mobile owners uses it to receive or send texts. On average, we send or receive 47 texts in 2 days, or when you’re between 18 – 29 year old, you’re likely send/receive nearly 88 messages per day.
- Of course, there’s more to your phone than just texting. We spend about 9 minutes per day on our mobiles to check our email. 1 out of 2 people check their mobile before they go to bed and as soon as they wake up.
Whether you depend on your mobile or not, it’s easy to see why most smartphone owners are so addicted to today’s mobile technology. Check out the infographic from Mashable below for any other interesting statistics of our mobile usage.