The Friday#: SXSWi Hobo Hotspots
The Sizzle: Brandwatch The Fri-Up: SXSWi The Sauce: Idiots crossing
- Virgin Media wins Tube wireless contract
- Brandwatch raises $6m to expand in the US
- Start-ups resist Facebook’s pull
- Boffins build cyborg snails to generate electricity
- SXSWi takeaways
So SXSWi, the USA’s most important tech gathering, hit the mainstream media for the wrong reasons this week.
New York Marketing firm BBH Labs equipped homeless people on Austin’s streets which turned them into wireless hotspots.
People could pay with cash or via PayPal an amount they felt appropriate to access the Internet, which could result in a PR disaster. Let’s wait and see what happens.
1/ @twitcam2/ @mashable3/ @WholeFoods4/ @wired6/ @dosomething8/ @htc10/ @klout
Looks like it’s Sean Parker and Al Gore that are getting a lot of the attention, but the homeless haven’t been forgotten. SXSWi’s notoriously useless Android app also gets a few mentions and the famous musical parts of the festival are also discussed.
Something for the weekend:
- An idiot crossing the road every 5 seconds guaranteed
- Darth Vader on a unicycle playing the bagpipes – really.
- Anyone seen Beyonce lately?
Hope you enjoyed the Friday#, have a great weekend.
If you haven’t already joined us on twitter – we’d love to see you there: @brandwatch