The candidates’ ‘radicalism’ has been a big topic of discussion in recent weeks. For example, Trump has claimed Biden and the Democrats are aligned with the ‘radical left,’ which Biden has directly rebuked.
But what does this mean for the election?
As this FiveThirtyEight piece details, if the race tightens, the importance of having supporters enthusiastic to vote for you increases. Trump currently leads Biden on having supporters that are enthusiastic to vote for him, but faces a problem: Biden voters are enthusiastic to vote against Trump.
To counter this, Trump is attempting to portray Biden as being of the “radical left.” This has long been Trump’s campaign style going back to the Republican primary in 2015/16. Trump needs an opponent to paint as a villain. This strategy acts to mobilise his base and get them to the voting booths come election day.
That seems to be working for the 64% of likely Trump voters who now see Biden as very radical, but what about the other 36%?
With Biden being a 77-year-old, career politician – complete with specific voting records – the Trump campaign has a big challenge in painting him as a total ‘radical’.
On the other side, Biden will be looking at ways to get his supporters to the ballot box that go beyond dislike for Trump. As we noted above, likely Biden voters are more likely to have seen a fall in income due to Covid-19. Biden recently voiced his support for improving wages and benefits of essential workers – something that would sound attractive to people trying to make ends meet.
The politicization of college football
Covid-19 has forced us to completely rethink how to conduct sporting events safely, for both players and spectators. College football is no exception.
Using our Consumer Research platform, we found that Covid-19 contributed to a jump in online discussion around college football this August. Over 93k unique authors took to blogs, forums, and social media to talk about the coming games, compared to just 70k in the same month last year. 15% of August 2020 mentions around upcoming games mentioned the virus or pandemic.
As part of this week’s survey, we asked Americans about their views on college football – specifically on whether it should resume and in what way fans should be able to spectate.