Search the Blog
All our latest data stories and insights straight to your inbox
You’re now subscribed to the
Brandwatch React newsletter.
Find it in your inbox every
The Happiest Places On Earth (According To Emojis) Topic Analysis
Where are the happiest places on earth?
Which state is most content?
Where will you find the most cheerful population?
Historically there’s been no easy way to find out. However, Brandwatch’s new emoji analysis functionality allowed us to finally shed some light on these important questions.
How to find the happiest places on Earth
We analyzed 6 billion tweets published on Twitter over the last two years. Every one of these tweets contained at least one emoji.
We then segmented these tweets into two buckets using Unicode’s official classifications:
Next, we segmented this data by location and analyzed which regions generated the highest percentage of positive and negative emojis.
United States 🇺🇸
- The most positive states are Utah, Maine, and Wyoming
South America 🌎
- The most positive countries are Paraguay, Argentina, and Uruguay
- The most positive countries/areas are Montenegro, Monaco, and Gibraltar
That’s states and countries, but how about cities?
We looked at some of the world’s most populous countries and discovered the most positive cities within them:
Barcelona – 82.12% positive
United Kingdom 🇬🇧
Shrewsbury, England – 82.55% positive
Le Mans – 83.59% positive
United States 🇺🇸
Laguna – 84.64% positive
München – 84.71% positive
Moscow – 84.81% positive
Medan – 84.97% positive
Laguna – 85.37% positive
Ankara – 85.82% positive
Turin – 86.45% positive
Chennai- 93.08% positive (the most positive place!)
That’s a lot of positivity.
Here are some more emojilicious findings:
- Most cities are very positive. Even the most negative city (Paterson, New Jersey) still generated 61% positive emoji tweets 😊
- However, the 🇺🇸 is very negative. The top 20 most negative cities are all in the states 😠
- In contrast 🇮🇳 is very positive. The top 15 most positive cities are all in India ❤️
It’s no surprise that there’s so much positivity in the air. Joyful emojis are actually our favorite emojis 😂
So now you know the happiest places on earth according to emojis, but emojis can reveal so much more. If you’re interested in discovering:
- How men and women use emojis
- What the most popular emojis are
- If we used negative emojis more in the evening
- And which brands are hated most (according to emojis)
The Emoji Report
Over 10 billion emojis are sent each day. Find out what you can learn from them 📖Get the report