Search the Blog
All our latest data stories and insights straight to your inbox
You’re now subscribed to the
Brandwatch React newsletter.
Find it in your inbox every
The Most Negative Places On Earth (According To Emojis) Research
Where are the most negative places on earth?
Which state is most downbeat?
Where will you find the saddest population?
Historically there’s been no easy way to answer these questions.
However, Brandwatch’s new emoji analysis functionality allowed us to finally shed some light on these very important questions.
We analyzed 6 billion tweets published on Twitter over the last two years. Every one of these tweets contained at least one emoji.
Then, we segmented these tweets into two buckets using Unicode’s official classifications:
Next, we broke down the data by location and analyzed which regions generated the highest percentage of positive and negative emojis.
The results: Finding the most negative places on Earth
United States 🇺🇸
- The most negative states are Delaware, Illinois, and Mississippi
South America 🌎
- The most negative countries are Ecuador, Bolivia, and Venezuela
- Ecuador is the most negative country we analyzed. 34% of tweets including an emoji were negative 👿
- The most negative countries are Netherlands, United Kingdom, and Greece
That’s states and countries, but how about cities? We looked at some of the world’s most populous countries to discover their most negative cities:
Indore, Malwa – 16.88% negative
Bandung, West Java – 16.2% negative
Fortaleza – 22.33% negative
United Kingdom 🇬🇧
Livingston, Scotland – 33.67% negative
Berlin – 17.91% negative
Metz – 20.70% negative
Alicante – 19.72% negative
Florence – 19.19% negative
Istanbul – 16.48% negative
St. Petersburg – 16.74% negative
United States 🇺🇸
Paterson, New Jersey – 38.97% negative – officially the most negative place on earth.
That’s a lot of negativity. But it’s not all bad:
- Most cities are very positive. Even the most negative city (Paterson, New Jersey) still generated 61% positive emoji tweets 😊
- However, the 🇺🇸 is generally pretty negative. The top 20 most negative cities are all from the states 😠
- In contrast 🇮🇳 is very positive. The top 15 most positive cities are all in India ❤️
Clearly we all like a moan, but what are our favorite negative emojis?
Here are the most used negative emojis on Twitter:
That’s the most negative places on earth, but emojis can reveal so much more. If you’re interested in discovering:
- How men and women use emojis
- What the most popular emojis are
- If we use negative emojis more in the evening
- And which brands are hated most (according to emojis)
The Emoji Report
Over 10 billion emojis are sent each day. Find out what you can learn from them 📖Get the report